About Me

My photo
My life is with three amazing boys. Twenty12 is the year of {thirty} & I decided to make it a year of figuring out me. While I build a relationship with God, I am focused on getting healthy inside & out, have gotten addicted to working out, and I am living a Paleo Lifestyle. I attempt to cook, <3 to bake, have a passion for photography & am learning as I go.
Follow Me on Pinterest

Hello!!

Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

67 = Chili

This past weekend came with amazing cool temperatures {we went from 94 degree high temp to a whopping 67 degree high temp over night} and seriously I was loving every single minute of it.  We rocked hoodies with jeans & flip flops {my boys love rockin that outfit}, open the windows and the A/C didn't run once for three days straight {finger crossed it help our electric bill out some}.  Our middle son {the big 5 yr old} had his first ever soccer game on Saturday & he was so excited.  Granted it was drizzling out which had our youngest freezing even though he was bundled up.  Wanted me to hold him the entire time to cuddle but I was attempting to capture the first soccer game which made me feel torn {note to self when having more then one child at times you will feel torn between them & trying to comfort one while doing something for another isn't always stress free simple}.   Halfway through my camera battery died go figure {always have a fully charged camera battery not one that is only 25% charged cause it will not last}.  My husband wasn't able to be there since he was in a class all day long otherwise the hold me while trying to capture the game would have been stressful with other hands there to do one or the other.   

I decided that we needed to make a trip to the grocery store cause it just felt like the perfect day to make chili & let it cook all afternoon long.  So once the game was over & we went home to change into dry clothes, the boys had a snack then we were off.  We got everything we needed to cook & to bake but first we stopped at the local bakery right next store {when we lived in VA there wasn't a local bakery around beside one you may find at a grocery store which I don't consider a "bakery" I was going to say real bakery but that sounds harsh I mean yes it a bakery but the ones we grew up with in NY were an actually store that was just that a 'bakery' nothing else}.  The older two had never been there before so when I opened the door their eyes lit up, like a kid in a candy store {another thing my boys have never been into}.  After five minutes of going back & forth on what they wanted we got 3 big circle cookies with sprinkles & I decided to get two apple turnovers for me & my husband to enjoy later once the kids were in bed {which were so amazing that I am now craving for another one}.  Once we got home I started cooking the chili {I make turkey chili & its amazing, it wasn't till about 2 years ago when a really good friend told me how she cooks with ground turkey never ground beef.  That you really can't tell the difference so I tried it & in the past two years I have bought ground beef maybe 5 times total we use ground turkey for everything} & decided to make Spice Pumpkin Chocolate Chip muffins {I'll post the recipe tomorrow} which only call for 4 ingredients.  


Turkey Chili:

1 lb of turkey {browned & drained}
1/2 a green pepper {cut up}
1/4 of a onion {cut up}
1/2 can of corn {drained}
1/2 light kidney beans {drained & washed}
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
chili powder {i just sprinkle till it taste the way we like it lol}

sour cream
shredded cheddar cheese
tostitos chips {the scoops are perfect}

Brown the ground turkey & while that is cooking cut up the peppers and onions, drain & wash the kidney beans, drain the corn.   In a large pot add the peppers & onion cook on medium.  Once the ground turkey is fully cooked drain you can add that to the peppers & onions. Then add the kidney beans, corn, died tomatoes, sauce and stir it all up.  Add the chili powder {I don't measure I just shake till it's perfect}. Let it cook on low {stir here & there} till you are ready to eat {I like to let it cook for a few hours}.  When your ready to eat pour into a bowl top with cheddar cheese and sour cream {if you like} now the best part take tostitos scoops chips & scoop away {that is my boys favorite part of chili}. 
Now this is how I make chili & there are so many way to do it, things to add and not add.  I started making it 3ish years ago at first it scared me cause I'm not the best cook.  I like to say I'm a cook in training {many many years of training lol} so going out of my comfort zone to make something new freaks me out.  I used to make it with ground beef & when we made the switch 2 years ago to ground turkey it still tasted great.   But it's seriously one of the best things about fall time & it taste great as leftovers.



No comments:

Post a Comment